Monday, January 5, 2009

Rain and Morning


Time: 10 am
Weather: cold rain, becoming a perfect, crisp 50 F morning with high clouds and slanting sun.
trail: lovely, groomed soft trail along a river, through a wildlife resource area.
baggage: best ever daughter, bundled against the cold, stroller, rain cover, keys, call phone, snacks, sippy cup, flashlight, toy frog, nook (pacifier).

Gorgeous run this morning. We earned good runner karma for being willing to go out in the rain and then everything cleared and became perfect for a long run. We were out for an hour. I casually alternated 1 and 2 minute runs with 4 and 3 minute walks until I was warmed up, then alternated 5-8 minute runs with enough walking to catch my breath. Best daughter sang to herself, pointed, babbled in sign language and giggled when we went over a bumpy section of trail.

We saw a train, and waved to the engineer. We saw a flock of cormorants drying their wings in a tree, looking like bats that have been unaccountably turned right side up. We saw coots, Canada geese, mallard ducks, squirrels and a red tailed hawk. There was a chorus of sparrows and finches in the tree tops. The drops of rain falling from the trees formed a soft percussion with my footfalls and the sound of my breath. All I wanted was to go farther and faster.

I am longing for the day when I can run without pain for miles, propelling myself along new trails at a speed I choose. I can't wait to see what new sites are just beyond the next bend, and the next.

Classes started again today. Physics, chemistry and calculus, and laboratories. Going well so far... the physics prof is a nut, so that should be a fun class. He made me feel more hopeful than terrified, which is great. Considering that I took the prerequisite for this class 12 years ago... and then wiped it from my memory.

No comments: