Saturday, January 3, 2009

Blue Sky

Or, I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.....

(Sorry about the earwig.....you may be humming it all day)

time: 3pm
weather: Gorgeous. Blue Sky, wisps of cloud, 45 F.
trail: woodchip, less deep mud.
baggage: dog, leash, bag, keys, extra pounds, dread of classes starting Monday..... that's it.

Today held lots to be grateful for:

The sun (of course)

Husband and darling daughter in playground adjacent to trail

High- fives from daughter whenever I slogged past

The absolute sweetness of my TJ.... he's dumb as buttered toast, would rather tie me up than defend me and "forgets" to heel whenever a new smell wafts past (that would be, um, always). But he is a sweetheart and a fun companion.

Moving my body, in spite of cancer, gravity, schedules, everything

We caught the cancer early

My Spanish speaking neighbors, many of whom use the same trail. I can practice my (breathless) Spanish on them as I run.

Today's slog was 2 minutes running, 3 walking. My shins were hurting, so I reminded myself to lift with my thighs and stop pushing off with my toes. I wiggled my toes to keep them relaxed and the shin pain stopped. I finished with 8 minutes of running, once I was warmed up.

I may have overdone it with the final 8 minute run, but it's all okay. The husband and I decided to (finally) celebrate our anniversary tonight.... so we rented a hot tub and soaked for an hour before dinner and a movie. The hot tub was just what my sore legs needed, time together was just what we needed, dinner was good and Daniel Craig makes a great James Bond, in my opinion.

It was a good, problem solving run, and a good day. I am learning to work with my body again. It feels like I am beginning to move back into myself. The cancer, and the pain after surgery, was alienating. My body wasn't a place I wanted to live in. Running is helping me reintegrate myself and my body.

No comments: